Marriage Tax Allowance

What is the marriage tax allowance?

The UK marriage tax allowance lets couples transfer a percentage of their personal allowance between them. Your personal allowance is income that you can earn tax-free each year. A recent survey states that around 4 million married or civil partner couples are missing out on the tax break which could total over £1 billion.

When can you apply for a marriage allowance?

You can only apply for marriage tax benefits if you meet the required circumstances. To be eligible you must be either married or have entered a civil partnership. Being in a long term relationship, engaged or living together allow you to claim marriage tax relief.


One of the couple needs to be a UK taxpayer, earning less than £12,500 in a financial year. The other partner must be a taxpayer on the basic rate tax of 20%, this means you would have to be earning between £12,501 and £43,430, or for couples living in Scotland £43,430, and both would have to have been born on or after April 6th 1935. If you are on a higher rate of tax, you will not be eligible for the marriage allowance tax rebate.

How to claim marriage allowance?

You can apply for online with HMRC, or you can contact us here at Swift Refunds, and we can fill in all the paperwork on your behalf once you supply us with the relevant information

Can you get a marriage allowance backdated cheque?

Yes, if you are eligible, you can backdate your marriage allowance claim by up to 4 years. If a partner has passed away during this time period, you can still make a claim.

How much is marriage allowance worth?

The marriage tax allowance can reduce your tax bill by up to £250 per financial year.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2016
• Year ending 5th April 2017
• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.