Offshore Tax Claim

Can I Claim Tax Back?

Are you in the offshore industry as an oil rigger and think you may be due a tax rebate? Well, find out whether you’re entitled to make a Tax claim by answering a few simple Tax-related questions below.

Start your Claim Now

Just 30 seconds to find out whether you’re entitled to a offshore related tax rebate claim.

ick edit button to change this html

Customer stories

``I got over £3000 back and went on holiday!``

I saw the SWIFT advert on Facebook and thought I would give it a go. I work in the aviation engineering industry and use my own car to travel to base camp. I was happy when I spoke to SWIFT Refunds who informed me I was due a tax rebate of over £3000! This was the easiest money I ever got back! I used the money to book myself a holiday to Mexico.

Matt Hayes, Chester

How does our refund process work and what do we need from you?

How Do I Make a offshore Tax Claim?


Easy! Let Swift Refunds do the hard work you!

Claiming Tax back directly from HMRC can involve some serious number crunching and you really must know what you’re doing. For example, would you feel confident that you’re making the maximum claim. Would you feel comfortable knowing that an incorrect Tax claim can mean that you could get fined and penalised?

Let Swift Refunds take the hassle out of your Tax rebate claim and contact us today.

How far back can i claim?

  • Current legislation in the UK says you can go back up to four Tax years when claiming a Tax rebate. This means at the current moment in time you can make a claim for the following periods:
    • Year ended 5th April 2021
    • Year ended 5th April 2022
    • Year ended 5th April 2023
    • Year ended 5th April 2024


    Effectively this means you can claim Tax relief from 6th April 2020.

    Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. This isn’t a problem as you have lots of ways to obtain this information.


    • Contact your current/previous employers as they are legally obliged to keep your records going back 6 years and because of GDPR if your request that information they have to provide it to you.


    • You could log into your government gateway which is easy to set up if you have never done this.


    • Contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and request that they post out to you a tax history letter which usually arrives in 10 working days from when you request it from them and this tax history letter will go back 4 years.

Travel expenses for oil rig workers

If you’re working offshore on an oil rig, you’re probably on the hook for more than just travel and accommodation costs. There’s a wide range of tax deductions for oilfield workers on offer, depending on your circumstances, you might also be owed tax relief on things like:


  • Laundry and maintenance of your specialised work clothing.
  • Upkeep and replacement of any essential tools you need for your job.
  • Subscription fees to professional bodies.
  • Hotel costs – you may find yourself stuck in a hotel the night before you head out to the rig.
  • Expenses whilst waiting to fly out.


If you don’t fancy the idea of keeping track of all the available tax deductions for offshore workers, you could still make an offshore tax rebate claim. The Flat Rate Expenses scheme can help simplify things by listing specific amounts of tax relief you can claim for common costs. You may not get back everything you’re owed, but it can take some of the bookkeeping out of the process.

How long does a tax claim take?

How long Tax takes to come back depends on two things:

  • How fast you can get the required information to ourselves
  • How busy HMRC are, which depends a lot on what time of the year it is

The sooner you start a claim process, the better as it can tax 8-12 weeks for HMRC to process a tax refund.

As deadlines apply for making claims, we advise you get in touch as early as possible to avoid disappointment.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.