P800 Tax Calculation Form

What is a P800?

A P800 tax form helps HMRC calculate if you have paid the wrong amount of tax on your income. I will show how much tax you owe and what tax you have paid. If you have not paid what you owe, you will have to make up the shortfall, but if you have overpaid your tax contributions, then you will receive a tax refund.

Why might I get P800?

You receive a P800 if you have finished one job, but started a new one & received a wage from both in the same month, if you have started receiving pension payments while still working or received any support allowances such as the job seekers allowance. It will highlight the various parts of your financial tax year as follows:


• Salary/Income from your employer
• Tax deductions (income tax and national insurance)
• Expense deductions (mileage, flat rate expenses & accommodation)
• Personal Allowances
• Adjustments (done by HMRC regarding overpayments or underpayments)
• Final P800 result (new calculation for rebate or liability)

What if I think my P800 is wrong?

If you think your P800 is wrong, you should check it against your P60, P45 or P11D forms. Check them carefully and look closely at the figures to make sure that HM Revenues and Customs and considered everything. All the calculations should be facts and not given as estimates. If you think it is still incorrect, then get in touch with our team at Swift Refunds.

No P800 does not mean you can't' claim a tax refund

If you didn’t receive a P800, that does not mean you’re not entitled to a tax refund. HMRC will only post a P800 to you if they know you’ve have paid the amount of tax. You may still be able to claim for some work expenses, but the taxman will not know about them unless you have made them aware. That is why we advise you to keep a record of all of your workplace expenses and receipts.

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2016
• Year ending 5th April 2017
• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.