Rugby Tax Refunds

What is a Rugby tax refund?

As a professional or semi-professional Rugby player you are an expert in all things Rugby. However, are you aware of the many expenses you have could contribute to a good tax refund for you.  Here at Swift Tax Refunds we are not experts at playing Rugby but we do know a thing or two about tax and we can help you get the most back from HMRC on a tax refund.

Rugby players are entitled to claim their travel expenses whether its driving your own car or public transport plus food and accommodation while on away games plus many other expenses.

Customer Stories

``I got £3000 and all the work was done from me``

My commercial director recommended that I go to Swift Refunds for a tax refund and they did all the work for me and backdated my refund 4 years so I got £3000.

What information do I need for a Rugby tax refund?

Rugby players can claim tax back on expenses from up to 4 years ago. You will need as much information as possible including receipts for fuel, overnight stays in hotels, and dry cleaning for maintaining your kit. To start a claim, we would need the following information:


• Copies of your payslips
• Site locations where you have worked
• Receipts of equipment purchased for work
• Employment contracts
• Any other relevant information you feel may help you


The more information we have, no matter how small or irrelevant you believe it to be, the better the chance of a bigger claim.

How long does a Rugby tax refund take to process?

The sooner you start a claim process, the better as it can tax 8-10 weeks for the HM Customs and Revenue to process a tax refund.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel & Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019
• Year ending 5th April 2020
• Year ending 5th April 2021


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

Stay Informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.