What is a UTR Number – and how do I get one?

What is a UTR Number?

A UTR Number (unique taxpayer reference number) is given to individual taxpayers, limited companies, and charities & trusts. Its purpose is to identify the person or company regarding their tax status, whether it’s for taxes that are outstanding to HMRC or for any tax refunds that you may be owed.

How to get a UTR Number?

You will need to complete an SA1 form, and once this is submitted, you will receive a ‘welcome to self-assessment’ in the post. A UTR can number can take some time to come through, so it is vital that apply for yours in plenty of time before you have to file your tax return before the 31st January deadline. HMRC advises it can take up to a minimum of 20 working days for you to receive your number after you have submitted the relevant information. Some of the information you will need to present will be security checked to confirm your identity.

An HMRC UTR Number is issued automatically when you:


• Register as self-employed

• If you are a working taxpayer but have untaxed receipts

• Register as a sole trader

• Form a new limited company

• Register as a partnership

How to apply for a UTR number?

If you are not automatically issued with your unique taxpayer reference, you can apply:


• Apply for a UTR Number online

• Apply for a UTR Number by telephone


You may already have been issued with your number, but may not have been notified yet. In this is the case, you should contact HM Revenue and Customs at your earliest convenience.


If you have a UTR Number because you are self-employed, we can help you with your self-assessment tax returns, or if you work in the construction industry, you will need to complete a CIS Tax Returns (construction industry scheme) form. If you are working in the CIS, it is essential that you get a unique taxpayer reference immediately or you risk being taxed at a higher rate. Failing to submit your Tax Returns on time can result in fines and penalties.

Nothing, your UTR number is free.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What information do I need to register for a UTR number in the UK?

To register for an HMRC UTR Number, you will need the following information:


• Your full name and address

• D.O.B

• N.I number

• Telephone number & a valid email address

• Date you registered as self-employed

• Nature of your business

• Business address & telephone number

Where can I find my UTR Number?

Your UTR Number is 10 digits long and you can find it on HM Custom and Revenue forms including:

• Your annual Self Assessment Tax Return (SA100)

• Statements issued to you by HMRC

• Self-assessment tax return reminder notices

• Notice to complete a Self Assessment Tax return (SA316)

What happens if I lose my UTR number?


Contact HMRC immediately. In the wrong hands, it can be used for identity theft.


How much does it cost to register for a UTR number?


Nothing, your UTR number is free.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing, and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

  • Current legislation in the UK says you can go back up to four Tax years when claiming a Tax rebate. This means at the current moment in time you can make a claim for the following periods:
    • Year ended 5th April 2020
    • Year ended 5th April 2021
    • Year ended 5th April 2022
    • Year ended 5th April 2023


    Effectively this means you can claim Tax relief from 6th April 2019.

    Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. This isn’t a problem as you have lots of ways to obtain this information.


    • Contact your current/previous employers as they are legally obliged to keep your records going back 6 years and because of GDPR if your request that information they have to provide it to you.


    • You could log into your government gateway which is easy to set up if you have never done this.


    • Contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and request that they post out to you a tax history letter which usually arrives in 10 working days from when you request it from them and this tax history letter will go back 4 years.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.