What is a P11D?

P11D form guide?

A p11d tax form is for employers to file any work-related taxable expenses and benefits that they have received over the financial year between April 6th and April 5th. Only the allowances and expenses that have not been included in your wages can be added to this HMRC form.

Your p11d explained

You p11d will show the following information and costs (or cash equivalent if using vouchers).


• Employer & employee details
• Your PAYE / UTR (unique taxpayer reference)
• Your national insurance number
• Assets transferred
• Payments made on behalf of the employee
• Vouchers and credit cards
• Living accommodation
• Mileage and passenger payments

What does a P11D look like?

what does a p11d form look like

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

How do I get a p11d?

A p11d form is used to file expenses and benefits that you may be liable to pay tax on. This form is more relevant for employers; they must submit a p11d form every tax year outlining expenses & benefit payments given to their employees; these include:


• Company cars, mileage & fuel allowance
• Private car & motorcycles mileage and fuel allowances
• Business Travel
• Business entertainment (business lunches etc)
• Transfer of assets
• Working from home
• Payments for the use of your home telephone
• Work uniforms, tools & equipment
• Credit, and non-credit card expenses payments
• Private medical insurance
• Loans


Other items may also count, including your childcare costs, taxis & rail fares for business needs.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2016
• Year ending 5th April 2017
• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.