What is P50?

Claim a repayment of tax?

The HMRC P50 form is used to claim a repayment of tax for the year or for an initial unemployment repayment when you have stopped working. A repayment of tax will be made up to the date that the form is submitted along with a revised P45.

When can I use a P50 form?

A P50 can only be submitted after your 4th week of unemployment. The P50 covers a number of circumstances and all of these are taxable benefits:


• If you return to full-time education (college or university)
• If you do not think you will return to work (redundancy)
• If you retire
• Your unemployment exceeds a period of four weeks
• If you do not claim Jobseekers allowance
• If you do not claim taxable incapacity benefit
• If you do not claim carers allowance
• If you do not claim contribution-based employment & support allowance

What does a P50 look like?

P50 form image

What do I do if I can’t use a P50 form to claim a tax rebate?

There are several reasons when a P50 cannot be used to obtain tax refunds. If you have a small pension lump sum you will need to use a P53. There are 2 options if you receive an occupational pension:


• You can apply directly to HM Revenue & Customs for a tax rebate after April 5th
• You can apply to your pension provider for the payment.


If you claim one of the benefits that we have mentioned above, then it will be the Jobcentre Plus who will deal with your claim. Your claim should be submitted after April 5th or when your current claim ends, whichever one comes first. If you start a new job, your employer will be the one to sort your repayments through the PAYE salary system when you give them parts 2 and 3 of your P45.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2016
• Year ending 5th April 2017
• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.