What is a P60?

p60 end of year certificate?

Your end-of-year p60 certificate shows how much you have earned and the amount of tax that you have paid on your salary for that particular financial year. If you have more than one job, you will get a p60 for each individual job. If you leave a job before the end of the tax year you will receive a p45.

Your p60 explained

Your p60 will show the following information:


• Employer & employee details
• The income you have earned from your employer
• Total tax paid on your salary between April 6th – April 5th
• Your PAYE / BR tax code
• Your national insurance number
• Your N.I category letter
• N.I (national insurance) contributions
• Maternity, paternity, shared parental & adoption pay.
• Student loan deductions (varies depending on salary)
• Total income from a previous employer
• Total tax deduction from a previous employer

What does a P60 look like?

what does a p60 form look like image

How do I get a p60?

If your employer you will need to supply your employees with an end-of-year p60. If you are an employee, you should receive your p60 from your employer by May 31st, either on paper or an electronic copy. You will need to keep your p60 to prove exactly how much tax you have paid on your income for the following reasons:


• In Case you have overpaid and need to claim a tax refund
• If you need to apply for working tax credits
• Proof of income if you are applying for a bank loan or mortgage

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

  • Current legislation in the UK says you can go back up to four Tax years when claiming a Tax rebate. This means at the current moment in time you can make a claim for the following periods:
    • Year ended 5th April 2021
    • Year ended 5th April 2022
    • Year ended 5th April 2023
    • Year ended 5th April 2024


    Effectively this means you can claim Tax relief from 6th April 2020.

    Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. This isn’t a problem as you have lots of ways to obtain this information.


    • Contact your current/previous employers as they are legally obliged to keep your records going back 6 years and because of GDPR if your request that information they have to provide it to you.


    • You could log into your government gateway which is easy to set up if you have never done this.


    • Contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300 and request that they post out to you a tax history letter which usually arrives in 10 working days from when you request it from them and this tax history letter will go back 4 years.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.