Wrong Tax Code

Am I on the wrong tax code?

If you think you may be on the wrong tax code, you will need to contact HM Revenue & Customs immediately as you may be paying to much or to little tax on your salary. If you are paying to much, you will be able to claim a tax rebate.

What should I do if my tax code is wrong?

You can contact HMRC by email or by telephone (0300 200 3300) if you believe you are on the wrong tax code. You will need to provide all the necessary information below so they can resolve the issue as quickly as possible. It is vital the information you give is accurate and up to date.


• Full name (first name, middles names & surname)
• Date of birth
• National insurance number
• Current UTR Number (unique taxpayer reference number)
• Employer work number
• Employee number
• Pension providers tax reference number
• State or private pension payments
• Salary
• Company benefits (including health care & allowances)
• Any other income (savings, rental properties, self-employed income)
• State benefits (child benefits & tax credits)
• An email address
• A contact telephone number

Why does it matter to be on the correct tax code?

Whether you are paying to much or not enough tax on your income, this could affect your state pension when you retired from employment. If you have paid to much, you will be able to claim it back, but if you have not paid enough, you will need to pay HRMC the shortfall.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

What Can I Claim Tax Back On?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:


• Vehicles for work use
• Fuel/Mileage costs
• Travel expenses
• Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)
• Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)
• Uniforms, work clothing and tools
• Cleaning costs for uniforms
• Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees


This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

What are the Deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods:


• Year ending 5th April 2016
• Year ending 5th April 2017
• Year ending 5th April 2018
• Year ending 5th April 2019


Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Swift Refunds we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Are you owed Tax back from HMRC? Find out today

Am I Due Any Tax Back?

Most workers, whether employed or self-employed may be due a tax rebate for work-related items, expenses or because they have paid too much tax. HMRC do not know everyone’s individual circumstances, and it is up to the taxpayer to contact HMRC to see if they are entitled to any tax relief.


Other reasons for a tax refund may include pension payments, redundancy payments, interest from a savings account, PPI, or UK income if you are living aboard.


All claims for tax refunds and rebates are reviewed on a case by case basis. Use our tax claim form and answer a few simple questions to see if you could be entitled to make a claim.

stay informed Subscribe now

Keep up to date with all the latest news and changes to make sure you don’t miss out on future refunds and tax savings.